Because we’re so busy at the shop, we don’t always get time to sit at a computer and type up a bunch of nonsense for you all to ooogle over. And we’re sorry! I know some people just love watching builds go on and on and on. So, here is our mega update on this project since we got pretty far with it since the last update. Last time we updated, we had the car stripped all the way down and we were getting started on the prep for paint.
Now, with the car stripped down, we need to clean this guy off. So, we took it out back and gave it a good power washing. This allows us to get off any/all dirt stuck in the crevisisisisis in order to ensure a nice paint job. Plus, nobody likes working on a dirty car!
Ok, now that old green bean up there is all cleaned up, we move onto panel prep. Sanding. Probably the worst part of painting a car. But, we made our own camouflage on the hood!
Uh, Houston. We have a problem! Apparently the sunroof got a little rusty. But, that’s not problem for us. We hopped into our spare parts bin and pulled out another sunroof assembly! Yay for having stuff! And this even solves the seized motor problem that this sunroof also seemed to have!
We had to fix some rust starting to form on the rear quarter panels, as well as some dings and dents along the way. Also, we had to fill in the holes in the hatch for the active aero spoiler. Why, you may ask? Because combat wing! #becausecombatwing
Fast forward through boring body work pictures to, primer pictures! Yea, I know…. exciting. But, we got it in primer. Which is just one step closer to paint!… just not the next step.
Now, we’re on to the step right before paint! Sealer! We lay down a sealer to give a good uniform base for the new paint to lay on. That way there is no discoloration between panels.
And the part you have all been scrolling down for……. dun dun dun dun dun!!!! The color! But first, let me tell you a bit about what we did first. We broke this chassis painting job up into 2 parts. The main chassis being the first part to get painted. Then, the engine bay. Breaking it up like this keep the room for error down. With painting an engine bay, you never know what might pop out of it. Could be a squirrel (probably dead at this point) or just some little bits of dirt. So, it’s always best to paint that guy separately.
Now that the main part of the chassis is painted, we paint the engine bay. Tah-dah!
Then, we get to unwrap the present to see what we’re looking like. That has got to be one of the best presents to ever unwrap!
With the chassis all painted, we move on to getting the pieces painted. Lots of parts to paint when having something broken down this far! Side skirts, lower door trim, a pillars, door handles, side mirrors, fenders, bumpers, hood, sunroof, sail panels, tail light panel, etc. Here are only a few pictures of the parts. I won’t bore you with the details.
Now that 98% of the car is painted, we can start assembly. First we worked on getting the mirrors reassembled, doors reassembled, and the whole door assembly hung into place. As well as installing the new sunroof assembly.
We also decided it was a good time to get the windshield done.
Since the windshield was on, we could move onto the wiper motor, wiper transmission, and cowl. To fasten the wiper motor on to the car, we’re using a new engine bay dress up kit that we will have available on our website once we finish with the install on this car!
That is where we leave you at for today. Expect another update this week. And we will also be starting to post up progress on another project we just started. So, stay tuned!